A Copper Alliance Member
2012 Press Releases
- September 19Stormwater Roof Runoff Goes Green
An important scientific study is beginning, with implications for developers and building owners who want to use copper roofing components for their durability, beauty and value.
- August 2825th UA Competition Crowns North America's Most Skilled Apprentices
This year CDA celebrated its 25th year assisting with the UA's Instructor Training Program and Apprenticeship Competition in Ann Arbor. Six tradesmen were awarded for their stellar work in copper pipefitting, welding, sprinklerfitting, HVAC and plumbing.
- July 11"Green Metal" Is an Essential Element for Renewable Energy
Copper is an essential element for renewable energy. A new market study on the generation of electricity from renewable energy sources such as wind, solar and geothermal found that copper usage intensity is typically four to six times higher for renewables than fossil fuels.
- June 29World-Renown Architect Becomes Healthcare Advocate After Rare Illness Leaves Him Paralyzed
Michael Graves, the award-winning architect and product designer famous for his collection of home products sold at Target, will address the country’s top healthcare professionals during a special reception at the 2012 Health Forum and the American Hospital Association Leadership Summit next month. He will give a personal account about how paralysis fueled his desire to improve healthcare design. Presented by the Antimicrobial Copper Program of the Copper Development Association, working to advance the message that copper surfaces intrinsically kill disease-causing bacteria.
- June 22Copper Continues to Shine in Museums, Academic and Government Facilities
The North American Copper in Architecture Awards recognizes and promotes building projects in the U.S. and Canada for their outstanding use of architectural copper and copper alloys. The awards program showcases a wide range of projects, all of which highlight craftsmanship, attention to detail and architectural vision. This year’s awards program is recognizing 15 projects across three categories including New Construction, Restoration/Renovation and Interior/Ornamental.
- April 22Celebrating Earth Day and the World's Oldest Recyclable Metal
Copper products are extremely durable, have long life spans, are low maintenance and require little repair or replacement, which makes them perfect for recycling and re-use.
- April 10Live Experiment Shows That MRSA Dies on Antimicrobial Copper Surfaces
MRSA is just one of many various infectious bacteria that Antimicrobial Copper can help protect against becoming a healthcare-acquired infection (HAI) in healthcare facilities worldwide. A live webcast experiment demonstrates that Antimicrobial Copper effectively kills MRSA within two hours while it readily survives on stainless steel.
- April 1U.S. Grid Energy Storage Market is Strong and Poised for Exponential Growth
The projected increase in the U.S. market for grid energy storage devices could result in an increase in the demand for copper over the next five years.
- March 29Copper Development Association Helps Train Military Veterans in United Association's HVAC Piping Program
The Copper Development Association is proud to partner with the United Association, a multi-craft union whose members are engaged in the fabrication, installation and servicing of piping systems. Together, the organizations hosted a Veterans in Piping program at UA Local #32 in Seattle, Wash., on March 15 and 16 to help soldiers returning from war zones readjust to their civilian lives.
- February 20Electric Vehicle Popularity Grows as Gas Prices Rise
In the past, internal permanent magnet motors had been one choice for electric vehicles. But that view is evolving as automakers consider the induction motor, a potential alternative to the permanent magnet motor. Copper induction motors have comparable torque and efficiency, along with a rugged, durable design.
- January 30How Do You Buy an Electric Car? The Copper Development Association (CDA) Takes Its Blog Readers on a Ride with the Nissan LEAF
The Copper Development Association (CDA) takes its readers on a ride with CopperTalk's blogger, John Hipchen, on a step-by-step EV adventure.